Many employers are now choosing to conduct a telephone interview as the first stage of the interview process. This allows the employer to move along the process quickly but also is an excellent tool to screen applicants.
It is important to remember that this IS a first interview and should be approached in the same professional manner that you would a face to face meeting.
Bluestones Supply Chain recognise that this could be unknown territory for some people, so here are some Do’s and Don’ts to help make the process a little less daunting.
• Research – just as you would a face to face interview make sure you conduct the necessary research, so you know as much about the company as possible.
• Prepare – write down any questions you want to ask and have them ready in front of you. Also, have a pad and pen to hand to write down any notes or additional questions you think of as the conversation progresses.
• CV – have a copy of your CV in front of you.
• Smile – you might be on the telephone but smiling will completely change your tone.
• Enunciate – make sure you communicate in a clear and concise manner.
• Listen – a key part of the interview is to listen to ensure you fully understand the questions and do not miss any key elements about the job and the company
• Mobile – if you are using your mobile, make sure you have a strong signal and full battery
• Location – make sure you are somewhere quiet, to avoid any disturbances or distractions
• Confirm the Next Stage – this is potentially a good way to close the call and shows your interest in the role and the company.
• Be Out and About – background noise and other people will be a distraction to both you and the interviewer.
• Interrupt – Always allow the interviewer to finish their question or sentence. This will also give you the chance to digest what they have said and give an informative response.
• Miss the call – ensure you are sat down and ready 10 minutes before the call has been scheduled
• Eat, Smoke, Chew Gum – would you do this if you were in a face to face interview? NO! So, DO NOT do any of these activities whilst on your telephone interview.
Following these simple guidelines will help you have a successful telephone interview and should help you to get to the next stage!